Every
day I find it most healthy to my own soul to try and walk as a saint, but in
order to do so, I must continually come to Christ as a sinner. I would seek to
be perfect. I would strain after every virtue, and forsake every false way. But
still, as to my standing before God, I find it happiest to sit where I sat when
first I looked to Jesus, on the rock of His works, having nothing to do with my
own righteousness, but only with His.
Depend
on it, dear Friends, the happiest way of living is to live as a poor sinner,
and as nothing at all—having Jesus Christ as All in All. You may have all your
growths in sanctification, all your progress in graces, all the development of
your virtues that you will. But still I do earnestly pray you never to put any
of these where Christ should be. If you have begun in Christ, then finish in
Christ. If you have begun in the flesh, and then go on in the flesh, we know
what the sure result will be. But if you have begun with Jesus Christ as your
Alpha, let Him be your Omega.
-Charles Spurgeon, The
Blessing of Full Assurance: Sermons on 1 John
No comments:
Post a Comment